site logo

The Beresford Ghost

Categories: More Ghosts With A Purpose
Scary Books: The Book Of Dreams And Ghosts
: Andrew Lang

"There is at Curraghmore, the seat of Lord Waterford, in Ireland, a

manuscript account of the tale, such as it was originally received and

implicitly believed in by the children and grandchildren of the lady

to whom Lord Tyrone is supposed to have made the supernatural

appearance after death. The account was written by Lady Betty Cobbe,

the youngest daughter of Marcus, Earl of Tyrone, and granddaughter of

Nicola S., L
dy Beresford. She lived to a good old age, in full use

of all her faculties, both of body and mind. I can myself remember

her, for when a boy I passed through Bath on a journey with my mother,

and we went to her house there, and had luncheon. She appeared to my

juvenile imagination a very appropriate person to revise and transmit

such a tale, and fully adapted to do ample justice to her subject-

matter. It never has been doubted in the family that she received the

full particulars in early life, and that she heard the circumstances,

such as they were believed to have occurred, from the nearest

relatives of the two persons, the supposed actors in this mysterious

interview, viz., from her own father, Lord Tyrone, who died in 1763,

and from her aunt, Lady Riverston, who died in 1763 also.

"These two were both with their mother, Lady Beresford, on the day of

her decease, and they, without assistance or witness, took off from

their parent's wrist the black bandage which she had always worn on

all occasions and times, even at Court, as some very old persons who

lived well into the eighteenth century testified, having received

their information from eyewitnesses of the fact. There was an oil

painting of this lady in Tyrone House, Dublin, representing her with a

black ribbon bound round her wrist. This portrait disappeared in an

unaccountable manner. It used to hang in one of the drawing-rooms in

that mansion, with other family pictures. When Henry, Marquis of

Waterford, sold the old town residence of the family and its grounds

to the Government as the site of the Education Board, he directed Mr.

Watkins, a dealer in pictures, and a man of considerable knowledge in

works of art and vertu, to collect the pictures, etc., etc., which

were best adapted for removal to Curraghmore. Mr. Watkins especially

picked out this portrait, not only as a good work of art, but as one

which, from its associations, deserved particular care and notice.

When, however, the lot arrived at Curraghmore and was unpacked, no

such picture was found; and though Mr. Watkins took great pains and

exerted himself to the utmost to trace what had become of it, to this

day (nearly forty years), not a hint of its existence has been

received or heard of.

"John le Poer, Lord Decies, was the eldest son of Richard, Earl of

Tyrone, and of Lady Dorothy Annesley, daughter of Arthur, Earl of

Anglesey. He was born 1665, succeeded his father 1690, and died 14th

October, 1693. He became Lord Tyrone at his father's death, and is

the 'ghost' of the story.

"Nicola Sophie Hamilton was the second and youngest daughter and co-

heiress of Hugh, Lord Glenawley, who was also Baron Lunge in Sweden.

Being a zealous Royalist, he had, together with his father, migrated

to that country in 1643, and returned from it at the Restoration. He

was of a good old family, and held considerable landed property in the

county Tyrone, near Ballygawley. He died there in 1679. His eldest

daughter and co-heiress, Arabella Susanna, married, in 1683, Sir John

Macgill, of Gill Hall, in the county Down.

"Nicola S. (the second daughter) was born in 1666, and married Sir

Tristram Beresford in 1687. Between that and 1693 two daughters were

born, but no son to inherit the ample landed estates of his father,

who most anxiously wished and hoped for an heir. It was under these

circumstances, and at this period, that the manuscripts state that

Lord Tyrone made his appearance after death; and all the versions of

the story, without variation, attribute the same cause and reason,

viz., a solemn promise mutually interchanged in early life between

John le Poer, then Lord Decies, afterwards Lord Tyrone, and Nicola S.

Hamilton, that whichever of the two died the first, should, if

permitted, appear to the survivor for the object of declaring the

approval or rejection by the Deity of the revealed religion as

generally acknowledged: of which the departed one must be fully

cognisant, but of which they both had in their youth entertained

unfortunate doubts.

"In the month of October, 1693, Sir Tristram and Lady Beresford went

on a visit to her sister, Lady Macgill, at Gill Hall, now the seat of

Lord Clanwilliam, whose grandmother was eventually the heiress of Sir

J. Macgill's property. One morning Sir Tristram rose early, leaving

Lady Beresford asleep, and went out for a walk before breakfast. When

his wife joined the table very late, her appearance and the

embarrassment of her manner attracted general attention, especially

that of her husband. He made anxious inquiries as to her health, and

asked her apart what had occurred to her wrist, which was tied up with

black ribbon tightly bound round it. She earnestly entreated him not

to inquire more then, or thereafter, as to the cause of her wearing or

continuing afterwards to wear that ribbon; 'for,' she added, 'you will

never see me without it'. He replied, 'Since you urge it so

vehemently, I promise you not to inquire more about it'.

"After completing her hurried breakfast she made anxious inquiries as

to whether the post had yet arrived. It had not yet come in; and Sir

Tristram asked: 'Why are you so particularly eager about letters to-

day?' 'Because I expect to hear of Lord Tyrone's death, which took

place on Tuesday.' 'Well,' remarked Sir Tristram, 'I never should

have put you down for a superstitious person; but I suppose that some

idle dream has disturbed you.' Shortly after, the servant brought in

the letters; one was sealed with black wax. 'It is as I expected,'

she cries; 'he is dead.' The letter was from Lord Tyrone's steward to

inform them that his master had died in Dublin, on Tuesday, 14th

October, at 4 p.m. Sir Tristram endeavoured to console her, and

begged her to restrain her grief, when she assured him that she felt

relieved and easier now that she knew the actual fact. She added, 'I

can now give you a most satisfactory piece of intelligence, viz., that

I am with child, and that it will be a boy'. A son was born in the

following July. Sir Tristram survived its birth little more than six

years. After his death Lady Beresford continued to reside with her

young family at his place in the county of Derry, and seldom went from

home. She hardly mingled with any neighbours or friends, excepting

with Mr. and Mrs. Jackson, of Coleraine. He was the principal

personage in that town, and was, by his mother, a near relative of Sir

Tristram. His wife was the daughter of Robert Gorges, LL.D. (a

gentleman of good old English family, and possessed of a considerable

estate in the county Meath), by Jane Loftus, daughter of Sir Adam

Loftus, of Rathfarnham, and sister of Lord Lisburn. They had an only

son, Richard Gorges, who was in the army, and became a general officer

very early in life. With the Jacksons Lady Beresford maintained a

constant communication and lived on the most intimate terms, while she

seemed determined to eschew all other society and to remain in her

chosen retirement.

"At the conclusion of three years thus passed, one luckless day "Young

Gorges" most vehemently professed his passion for her, and solicited

her hand, urging his suit in a most passionate appeal, which was

evidently not displeasing to the fair widow, and which, unfortunately

for her, was successful. They were married in 1704. One son and two

daughters were born to them, when his abandoned and dissolute conduct

forced her to seek and to obtain a separation. After this had

continued for four years, General Gorges pretended extreme penitence

for his past misdeeds, and with the most solemn promises of amendment

induced his wife to live with him again, and she became the mother of

a second son. The day month after her confinement happened to be her

birthday, and having recovered and feeling herself equal to some

exertion, she sent for her son, Sir Marcus Beresford, then twenty

years old, and her married daughter, Lady Riverston. She also invited

Dr. King, the Archbishop of Dublin (who was an intimate friend), and

an old clergyman who had christened her, and who had always kept up a

most kindly intercourse with her during her whole life, to make up a

small party to celebrate the day.

"In the early part of it Lady Beresford was engaged in a kindly

conversation with her old friend the clergyman, and in the course of

it said: 'You know that I am forty-eight this day'. 'No, indeed,' he

replied; 'you are only forty-seven, for your mother had a dispute with

me once on the very subject of your age, and I in consequence sent and

consulted the registry, and can most confidently assert that you are

only forty-seven this day.' 'You have signed my death-warrant, then,'

she cried; 'leave me, I pray, for I have not much longer to live, but

have many things of grave importance to settle before I die. Send my

son and my daughter to me immediately.' The clergyman did as he was

bidden. He directed Sir Marcus and his sister to go instantly to

their mother; and he sent to the archbishop and a few other friends to

put them off from joining the birthday party.

"When her two children repaired to Lady Beresford, she thus addressed

them: 'I have something of deep importance to communicate to you, my

dear children, before I die. You are no strangers to the intimacy and

the affection which subsisted in early life between Lord Tyrone and

myself. We were educated together when young, under the same roof, in

the pernicious principles of Deism. Our real friends afterwards took

every opportunity to convince us of our error, but their arguments

were insufficient to overpower and uproot our infidelity, though they

had the effect of shaking our confidence in it, and thus leaving us

wavering between the two opinions. In this perplexing state of doubt

we made a solemn promise one to the other, that whichever died first

should, if permitted, appear to the other for the purpose of declaring

what religion was the one acceptable to the Almighty. One night,

years after this interchange of promises, I was sleeping with your

father at Gill Hall, when I suddenly awoke and discovered Lord Tyrone

sitting visibly by the side of the bed. I screamed out, and vainly

endeavoured to rouse Sir Tristram. "Tell me," I said, "Lord Tyrone,

why and wherefore are you here at this time of the night?" "Have you

then forgotten our promise to each other, pledged in early life? I

died on Tuesday, at four o'clock. I have been permitted thus to

appear in order to assure you that the revealed religion is the true

and only one by which we can be saved. I am also suffered to inform

you that you are with child, and will produce a son, who will marry my

heiress; that Sir Tristram will not live long, when you will marry

again, and you will die from the effects of childbirth in your forty-

seventh year." I begged from him some convincing sign or proof so

that when the morning came I might rely upon it, and feel satisfied

that his appearance had been real, and that it was not the phantom of

my imagination. He caused the hangings of the bed to be drawn in an

unusual way and impossible manner through an iron hook. I still was

not satisfied, when he wrote his signature in my pocket-book. I

wanted, however, more substantial proof of his visit, when he laid his

hand, which was cold as marble, on my wrist; the sinews shrunk up, the

nerves withered at the touch. "Now," he said, "let no mortal eye,

while you live, ever see that wrist," and vanished. While I was

conversing with him my thoughts were calm, but as soon as he

disappeared I felt chilled with horror and dismay, a cold sweat came

over me, and I again endeavoured but vainly to awaken Sir Tristram; a

flood of tears came to my relief, and I fell asleep.

"'In the morning your father got up without disturbing me; he had not

noticed anything extraordinary about me or the bed-hangings. When I

did arise I found a long broom in the gallery outside the bedroom

door, and with great difficulty I unhooded the curtain, fearing that

the position of it might excite surprise and cause inquiry. I bound

up my wrist with black ribbon before I went down to breakfast, where

the agitation of my mind was too visible not to attract attention.

Sir Tristram made many anxious inquiries as to my health, especially

as to my sprained wrist, as he conceived mine to be. I begged him to

drop all questions as to the bandage, even if I continued to adopt it

for any length of time. He kindly promised me not to speak of it any

more, and he kept his promise faithfully. You, my son, came into the

world as predicted, and your father died six years after. I then

determined to abandon society and its pleasures and not mingle again

with the world, hoping to avoid the dreadful predictions as to my

second marriage; but, alas! in the one family with which I held

constant and friendly intercourse I met the man, whom I did not regard

with perfect indifference. Though I struggled to conquer by every

means the passion, I at length yielded to his solicitations, and in a

fatal moment for my own peace I became his wife. In a few years his

conduct fully justified my demand for a separation, and I fondly hoped

to escape the fatal prophecy. Under the delusion that I had passed my

forty-seventh birthday, I was prevailed upon to believe in his

amendment, and to pardon him. I have, however, heard from undoubted

authority that I am only forty-seven this day, and I know that I am

about to die. I die, however, without the dread of death, fortified

as I am by the sacred precepts of Christianity and upheld by its

promises. When I am gone, I wish that you, my children, should unbind

this black ribbon and alone behold my wrist before I am consigned to

the grave.'

"She then requested to be left that she might lie down and compose

herself, and her children quitted the apartment, having desired her

attendant to watch her, and if any change came on to summon them to

her bedside. In an hour the bell rang, and they hastened to the call,

but all was over. The two children having ordered every one to

retire, knelt down by the side of the bed, when Lady Riverston unbound

the black ribbon and found the wrist exactly as Lady Beresford had

described it--every nerve withered, every sinew shrunk.

"Her friend, the Archbishop, had had her buried in the Cathedral of

St. Patrick, in Dublin, in the Earl of Cork's tomb, where she now


The writer now professes his disbelief in any spiritual presence, and

explains his theory that Lady Beresford's anxiety about Lord Tyrone

deluded her by a vivid dream, during which she hurt her wrist.

Of all ghost stories the Tyrone, or Beresford Ghost, has most

variants. Following Monsieur Haureau, in the Journal des Savants, I

have tracked the tale, the death compact, and the wound inflicted by

the ghost on the hand, or wrist, or brow, of the seer, through Henry

More, and Melanchthon, and a mediaeval sermon by Eudes de Shirton, to

William of Malmesbury, a range of 700 years. Mrs. Grant of Laggan has

a rather recent case, and I have heard of another in the last ten

years! Calmet has a case in 1625, the spectre leaves

The sable score of fingers four

on a board of wood.

Now for a modern instance of a gang of ghosts with a purpose!

When I narrated the story which follows to an eminent moral

philosopher, he remarked, at a given point, "Oh, the ghost _spoke_,

did she?" and displayed scepticism. The evidence, however, left him,

as it leaves me, at a standstill, not convinced, but agreeably

perplexed. The ghosts here are truly old-fashioned.

My story is, and must probably remain, entirely devoid of proof, as

far as any kind of ghostly influence is concerned. We find ghosts

appearing, and imposing a certain course of action on a living

witness, for definite purposes of their own. The course of action

prescribed was undeniably pursued, and apparently the purpose of the

ghosts was fulfilled, but what that purpose was their agent declines

to state, and conjecture is hopelessly baffled.

The documents in the affair have been published by the Society for

Psychical Research (Proceedings, vol. xi., p. 547), and are here used

for reference. But I think the matter will be more intelligible if I

narrate it exactly as it came under my own observation. The names of

persons and places are all fictitious, and are the same as those used

in the documents published by the S.P.R.